GBS: MY SONS PROGRESS REPORT

Meet my son.

He was diagnosed with GBS on November 30, 2014.

Within 1 hour of entering the emergency room he was in a coma and paralyzed.



He was admitted to CCU where he remained in a coma for 45 days.  He also turned 37 during that time.

When I learned of my son's battle with Guillain Barre Syndrome it was by phone and nearly 2 months after he was first admitted to the hospital.

It was my son's girlfriend whom I had never spoken with before.  She told me they really hadn't thought he was going to make it until he awoke from his coma.

I couldn't even comprehend what she was trying to say to me.  I didn't even know how to spell it, once more what it was, but, for some reason, a horrible feeling instantly came over me that it could be from a vaccine before she even began to try to explain what had happened, never mind the feelings I was having about just having been notified knowing he wasn't even expected to make it that whole time or learning his father has known and never bothered to try to reach me.  It was and has been horrifying.

She gave me her number and promised she would answer the phone or call back if I called but so far my calls have went unanswered and aside from calmly asking her how she would have felt had the shoe been on the other foot, I've not tried to make anything more difficult than it already is.  My son just doesn't need that right now.  All he needs is all the support he can get.  I don't know about how much he knows about when I was notified so I don't know what is running through his mind right now.  I just don't want to hurt him or start trouble and I figure we can discuss it when he is ready so there aren't any misunderstandings.

I feel so helpless right now.  I can only imagine how my son must feel.

By the time I learned about his condition he was no longer in CCU.

It makes me feel horrible inside, but I live out of state and under all the circumstances I haven't been able to see him yet, though I was finally able to speak with him by phone, kinda.  He only has voice inflection at this time.  Due to the timing and just learning of my son's battle, I thought it would be for the best at this point to go see him once he moves to the rehab facility, which should be soon.

His first achievements after coming out of his coma were gaining back some facial muscles and some movement in his fingertips.

He is still in the hospital and is beginning to get some movement in his legs but his arms are still a no go.

Progress for anyone battling GBS is slow but he is doing as well as can be expected and, at this point, there is nothing more important and I am just grateful he is alive, improving, and that she called.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment